1/200 resumes result in a job offer, but 1/12 informational interviews result in a job offer. Why are informational interviews such an efficient and effective job search strategy? Let’s learn, prepare and practice together. In this workshop we will:
- Discuss why asking for advice is a smart job search strategy
- Learn the three steps for Informational Interview preparation:
- Discover where to find people to interview
- Prepare a clean and clear script
- Develop a list of potential questions
- Review tips for a respectful and professional Informational Interview
- Discuss tips for making a lasting impression with potential employers
- Hear testimonials from previous clients who conducted Informational Interview
What Clients are Saying
What word would you use to describe the workshop?
Interesting perspective. Very helpful. Very informative and great refresher. Informative. Very useful and helpful. Lots of information and ideas. Interesting. Informative and helpful.
What word would you use to describe the instructor in presenting the material and relating to you as a participant?
- Enthusiastic and empathetic. Interesting. Very passionate.
- Kristina is great as always and what is even more important: she is a lot of fun.
- Experienced, informative, sharing personal experience. This helps the audience that you are not alone, you have been there.
- Informative. Kristina was able to give very clear examples.
- Very informative about a new way to research a company and a job.
- Engaging with students, positive, helpful.
What activity(ies) or lessons did you find most helpful?
- The workbook and the presentation.
- All of it.
- Questions to ask and could be asked.
- How to set up a 15-minute meeting with an employer.
- Group work and discussions.
- Asking advice.
- Resources for research.
- Arranging an interview.
- Deciding what questions were important in an informational interview.
- Almost everything and all the information was helpful.
- The list of questions as a guideline.
- Talking about which questions we didn’t like and why.
- Simply learning about the processes.
- Questions to ask and keep focus.
- Preparation for starting and conducting calls.
- Laid everything out step-by-step, so not overwhelming it, and acknowledged the fear associated with putting yourself out there.
How has your understanding of the topic increased after participating in the workshop?
- Yes, much more knowledgeable.
- It gave me courage to start calling employees of companies I want to work for.
- It gave me much more confidence to try Informational Interviews.
- I now know how to prepare for and conduct an Informational Interview.
- Yes, I am excited now.
- I now have the skills to schedule and conduct an informational interview.
- The scripting hints.
- Learning humility when talking and asking questions in an informational interview.
- Expanded to be more creative and to think outside the box.
- It has given me a great deal of insight in this area.
- I developed a better understanding and ability to take on how to handle this topic.
- Better understanding of what to say in an informational interview.
How will the take home booklet(s) be helpful in reviewing and implementing the concepts covered in the workshop?
- Plenty of info, scripts and advice.
- The booklet is going to keep on teaching me. I will be using the booklet to review information I learned and have forgotten.
- It will be useful for preparing for Informational Interviews.
- Great memory help and guide to prepare.
- It will give me a point of reference.
- The take-home booklet will help me set up and conduct informational interviews.
- It helps keep my focus with options of wordings to utilize within the interviews.
- Good questions and good lists.
- I will be able to go back and follow up on the workshop and refer to all the notes I took.
- It is quite helpful because you could review the key points to success in interviews.
- The booklet is a guideline to assist me with pursuing this topic enthusiastically.
- I am an organized person and will use it to keep organized in my approach.
- To personalize the script and questions to my specialized field.
- Template for script writing, and interview question list will be a valuable resource.
- I will go through it and write my script and prepare my script and prepare myself.
- It will assist in writing the script and questions.
- A lot of help to guide me in the process.
- Yes, it will keep me from missing anything and being prepared.
Why would you recommend this workshop to someone else? If not, why not? Please be specific.
- Good networking opportunity, testimonials, very helpful to determine where I’d want to do. Informational Interviews.
- Yes, very informative!
- Because it’s very informative.
- Yes, from the stats, it gives results.
- Because this workshop offers strategies to overcome the fear of approaching target companies to get information.
- Yes! Already have.
- It will give them a sense of researching and exploring different careers.
- Yes, I would recommend the OVRC workshops to everyone looking to better themselves or job seeking.
- I would recommend this workshop because it is very informative and offers great tips on the subject.
- Yes helps you understand what it’s all about so that it’s not so scary and intimidating.
- I would strongly recommend this workshop.
- Yes, good, useful info presented.
- I would recommend this workshop to anyone!
- I surely recommend to others to improve themselves.
- Yes, clarifies the process, places emphasis on important info.
- A majority of job seekers are not aware statistically how successful it is.
- Yes, I would, great discussions.