Research Careers and Jobs Using the Internet
Why Would I Need To Research?
Whether you are responding to a job ad, sending an introductory letter to a potential employer, preparing for an interview, or doing career exploration, it is important to research careers.
Research produces a number of benefits for job search. Firstly, being knowledgeable about a company/organization will enable you to write a better cover letter or introductory letter, showing your enthusiasm and knowledge of the company.
Secondly, it will also help you prepare for the job interview by giving you the ability to answer the commonly asked interview question “What do you know about our company?” Thirdly it will help you write a skill based resume that focuses on the company or organization’s requirements and corporate culture.
In career exploration, research will help you determine which occupation would be the best fit for you in terms of duties, trends, education, employment opportunities, and wages. This vital information will help you make an informed decision. Using internet resources to find a career is never as beneficial as seeing a professional. Book an appointment to see a Career Counsellor, here at the centre for guidance and support.
“State clearly in your cover letter what research you have done and why you think you would be good for our company.”
(Employer response from the OVRC Survey of over 100 Winnipeg employers)
The site contains information about the non-profit organizations located in Manitoba, listed by subject in alphabetical order. Click on Locating Services – and use the Advanced Search to search subjects.
Company / Organization Websites
View the company/organization website to find the names of hiring managers and influential people. Also get information on:
- Complete list of products or services offered
- Contact information for various departments
- News releases
- Mission statement
- Goals for the future
Get competitor/customer opinions, links to articles, reviews and news stories for any company, organization or industry you are researching.
Recieve Alerts (daily/weekly) coming to your in-box for industries/companies/organizations of interest.
Government Career Information Sites
Search Companies/Economic News/Events to get information on companies in the province. The site contains in excess of 1,000 Manitoba organizations with contact information including address, telephone and fax number.
Find bulletins on the local labour market, a link to the jobs posted on the job bank as well as information about potential employers, wages and salaries.
Detailed information on careers in Canada, with interviews from people actually in those careers. Links to resources.
Professional Online Resources
Reach all participants of the environmental sector including: employers, practitioners, educators and students. The website also provides access to publications and newsletters, as well as a Job Board.
Social Media Resources
“Social Media sites like Facebook and Twitter are designed to be social and free flowing like a conversation. While using Facebook in a job search, not everything you share should revolve around “I need a job!” Once or twice a week, mention interviews in a positive light, a company that you are researching, an article/ video you enjoyed, or a networking event experience. Keep your comments positive!”
- Is the social networking site where you follow people – you do not need to know the people you “follow”
- Hiring managers tweet about openings – type key words into twitter search and subscribe to RSS feeds about these topics
- Communicate your interest in a field or company by leaving a comment to say thank you for an informative post
- Impress potential employers with your professionalism, knowledge and ideas
- Is the networking site for job seekers, hiring managers and professionals
- Watch easy to understand tutorials on YouTube and learn how to make LinkedIn work for you
- Use your Highlights of Qualifications/Calling Card as your detailed executive summary
- Add connections to increase your visibility to potential employers
- Have your colleagues write professional reviews to increase your credibility with potential employers and demonstrate your excellent reputation